Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Project One reflection

Going Green

Our earth is an important thing to protect. It is where we live, we get our resources from it, and without it we would not be able to survive. There are many ways in which we can protect our planet. For my project I focused on a few ways in which we can protect our planet and keep it healthy.
An important way to help save our Earth is to recycle. Recycling paper and plastic can prevent more trees being cut down and can also prevent our landfills from becoming any bigger than they should be. Buying recycled paper products helps support recycling and helps save trees. When you go to the store use the cloth reusable bags instead of using plastic or paper bags. You can find them at mostly every grocery store and they are only a couple dollars. A cheap easy way to save some trees! I personally have around six of them, and I do not just use them for shopping, I use them for all day outings like going to a picnic or carrying all my stuff at the beach.
Riding your bike to work or to the store is a good way to cut back on air pollution. I only live five minutes from my work so I ride my bike there as much as I can, at least until winter sets in. When you can not ride your bike somewhere a good way to help the environment and save money on gas is to get a hybrid car. Right now I drive a Saturn, it is gas efficient that is for sure, but it does not help the environment as much as I would like. This summer I plan on getting a new car and I hope to get an Escape Hybrid.
Saving energy is another good way to save money and help the environment. Turning off lights when you leave the room, turning off your computer when you are done with it, keeping the heat/air a bit lower than normal are many good ways to help save energy. When you replace a light bulb, replace it when an energy efficient one. They are a tiny bit more expensive but they can help save you money on your electricity bill too. They are pretty much the same as regular light bulbs, only they are good for the environment.
I never used to be one of those people who helped clean up rivers or was environmentally aware of everything. Just recently my friend and I decided to better ourselves, so why not the environment too? I ride my bike whenever I can (When it is a bit warmer out), I use reusable bags, my city has recycling pick up so I put my paper and plastic out for the city to take, and I have energy efficient light bulbs in mostly every room in my house. If everyone did little things like this everyday, our world would be a cleaner and healthier place to live.

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Leslie,

    I really like your topic and advocate proposal. I also think it is a good idea for others to do the same as you have, by changing your lifestyle to help the environment. The lightbulbs do work, I have them myself, and they even seem brighter then the other ones. The pictures in your post are good and they go along with what you talk about in the post. I have never used the recycleable bags before, because I always thought they were a waste, though now after reading this I find them more useful in everyday life. I think "going green" is a somewhat new project, though is growing fast, and is showing by people like you doing projects to support it. Another way to improve the environment that you mention is recycling. This is the one area I wish I did more of. I do not recyle plastic, such as milk jugs, nor do I recyle loose paper around the house. I know it is important, though my city (or atleast my condominium) does not have recyling pick, so I take the easy way out by just throwing it away. Overall, I liked your proposal becasue it was very clear and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do agree with you on this. I believe people tend to drift away from this important issue and its something the world should really focus on. I think this topic was a smart choice because its very important not to just one specific area but the whole world! Everything was really well thought out and interesting to read! Going green is something everyone should do! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,

    I really like how you presented the whole idea of "going green". For me, I always thought of it as something intangible and bothersome, but you really shed some light on to ways that the "every day" person can do even small favors to the planet on a daily basis. I love that this all revolves around the idea of bettering oneself and then branching out from there, no pun intended, to help the environment we live in. Once again, great ideas that I'll try to use too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete